37 suspected gang members arrested over Homa Bay rally chaos
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
Police have arrested 37 suspected gang members following violence that erupted during the Linda Mwananchi political rallies in Homa Bay on Sunday, as the National Police Service intensified operations to identify and apprehend those behind the chaos.
The suspects were allegedly found in possession of crude weapons including machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches, according to a statement issued by police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga.
Mr Nyaga said officers are also pursuing suspect Oliver Jaoko, alias “Olivetti”, who they say is at large and may have been involved in the violence.
The NPS has directed Mr Jaoko to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with investigations, while warning that operations to arrest him and other people linked to the violence are ongoing.
The arrests come a day after violence broke out during a rally led by Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna and other leaders in Homa Bay, leaving a police officer dead, several others injured and vehicles damaged.
According to police, one police vehicle lost control during the incident, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to five other officers.
The Service also said three police officers were injured on August 15 while arresting 15 suspected gang members along the Kisumu-Kericho Road.
The NPS said several criminal incidents were recorded during Sunday's rally, including attacks on journalists, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public order operations and damage to several civilian vehicles.
The police have vowed to pursue not only those directly involved in the violence but also people suspected of organising, financing, facilitating or sponsoring criminal activities.
“Those who recruit, finance, mobilise, arm or otherwise facilitate criminal elements to cause violence and disorder will be pursued and brought to justice,” the NPS said.
The chaos also attracted condemnation from the Church and Clergy Association of Kenya (CCAK), as well as from across the political divide.
The association’s National Chairperson Bishop Hudson Ndeda said that while it was clear that politicians and political parties had started early campaigns, the National Police Service under the Inspector General Douglas Kanja should provide security impartially during the campaign season.
“It is discouraging to see the police engage in barbaric acts by disrupting campaigns and involving themselves in partisan politics. This must stop as the police are the lifeline for the rule of law to prevail. It will be noted that the campaign meetings that the police have not interfered with have ended peacefully without casualties or property destruction,” Bishop Ndeda said.
Meanwhile, the Jubilee Party and People's Renaissance Movement (PM) have urged police to take action against the perpetrators of chaos in Homa Bay.
Deputy leader and presidential candidate, Dr Fred Matiang’i, said that it was unfortunate to witness violence at political rallies, despite the government's investment in security measures.
“For two days, a rural county in Kenya has been under the spell and control of criminals and we behave as if this is normal. I have done my duty as a leader on behalf of my colleagues and I have warned that we have begun a final descent into chaos and anarchy in this country,” Dr Matiang’i said.
ODM youth leader in Nairobi Brian Midiwo also called for action against those who sponsored the recent skirmishes in Homa Bay. He said that the region’s image had been tarnished by the use of thugs to attack the opposition.
Saboti MP Caleb Amisi also condemned the political intolerance and violence, saying that the culture of goonism, political zoning and divisive politics was a direct affront to the country’s hard-fought constitution
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.