Video: Kaluma Boy breaks down how KSh 5.4m raised to buy land, house was used
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- Kaluma Boy went live to account for the KSh 5.4 million Kenyans raised for his family, dispelling claims the total was KSh 17 million
- He broke down how the funds were spent, including on a one-acre piece of land, house construction, hotel stays and his father's medical bills
- Questions emerged about the role of two individuals, identified as Mofarm and Bishop Ben Kiengei, in managing the construction project and his father's therapy payments
Kaluma Boy, the young Kenyan whose family's story moved thousands of Kenyans to open their wallets in late 2025, has finally addressed the public on how every shilling of the donated funds was used, and the revelations have stirred fresh debate online.
Speaking during a TikTok livestream on Wednesday, August 17, Kaluma Boy told a multi-guest panel that the total amount raised was KSh 5.4 million, pushing back against circulating claims that donors had contributed as much as KSh 17 million.
He said all the money came in through bank transfers and M-Pesa, and he could account for every transaction.
How the KSh 5.4 million was spent
According to Kaluma, the bulk of the funds went towards purchasing land and building a home for his family.
A one-acre piece of land cost KSh 1.5 million, and the family was also given an additional 50 by 100 plot valued at KSh 500,000 at no charge.
Construction costs on the house consumed a further KSh1.2 million, with funds sent directly to hardware suppliers and a fundis' account on the instruction of individuals named Mofarm and Bishop Ben Kiengei, who were overseeing the project.
Before construction began, the family was housed in a Nairobi hotel for two weeks at a cost of KSh 206,550, a bill Kaluma Boy said was sprung on them without prior warning.
They later moved into a three-bedroom house at KSh 35,000 per month, with a deposit of the same amount paid upfront.
Father's medical bills and a loan
A significant portion of the account centred on his father's health. Kaluma Boy revealed that his father was admitted to a hospital for approximately one and a half months, with the bill settled using a portion of the donated funds.
After discharge, Ben reportedly committed to funding six months of therapy sessions.
However, after the first month, he became unreachable, and the therapist began threatening the family over unpaid fees.
Faced with those threats, Kaluma Boy's mother took his ailing father to an Equity Bank branch, where they took out a KSh 50,000 loan to settle the outstanding therapy bill while continuing to wait for Bishop Ben to fulfil his commitment.
Kaluma Boy also disclosed that someone had been covering the family's rent and food expenses during the period, though he declined to name that individual publicly.
The livestream was tense throughout, with the host repeatedly calling for calm in the comments section and urging viewers to engage respectfully as Kaluma Boy walked through the painful details.
[Watch Kaluma Boy's full live account of how the donations were used]
Did Kiengei break his silence?
We also highlighted facts about Kiengei's response to accusations of financial mismanagement in the fundraising campaign for Kaluma Boy’s family, where he firmly denied any involvement in handling the KSh 17 million.
His insistence on transparency raises profound questions about the handling of donations and the discrepancies within the family regarding support they have received.
The emotional turmoil surrounding Kaluma's family, who initially captured the sympathy of the public, deepens as allegations of misappropriation and family disputes unfold.
With the bishop's call for accountability, the community is left to ponder the intentions and actions of those involved in this troubling saga.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.