Dubai Tourism Crisis: Airlines Delay Return as Hotels Struggle
DUBAI — For years, Dubai appeared to have solved one of the hardest problems in global tourism: how to manufacture a destination, connect it to almost every major city in the world and persuade millions of people to come.
The contrast with 2025 could hardly be greater. Dubai welcomed a record 19.59 million international overnight visitors last year, its third consecutive record, while average hotel occupancy reached 80.7 percent. The emirate ended the year with more than 154,000 hotel rooms.
In 2026, the war in Iran changed the equation.
The most revealing statistic may be hotel occupancy. According to CoStar data reported by Skift, Dubai occupancy plunged to just 19.6 percent in mid-March. The religious-holiday market briefly provided an extraordinary reprieve, pushing occupancy to 82.2 percent over Eid, but by June the market had settled back into the high-40s to low-50s. More than 100 conferences and exhibitions across the UAE had meanwhile been canceled or postponed.
Hotels themselves were expecting roughly 75 to 80 per cent occupancy during Eid Al Adha, helped by UAE residents choosing domestic staycations. But hoteliers acknowledged that domestic demand was compensating for much weaker international tourism, rather than demonstrating a return to normal.
There are now signs of improvement. Accor said Dubai returned to year-on-year growth in July and that hotel occupancy had improved. But the wider Middle East remained badly damaged: IHG reported a 19 percent decline in RevPAR in the region during the second quarter.
Dubai is recovering. It has not recovered. eTurboNews reached out to Dubai tourism but received no response.
The aviation picture explains much of the problem. Dubai built its tourism industry around extraordinary international accessibility. A European traveler could leave London, Frankfurt, Zurich or almost any other major city and arrive in Dubai on a choice of airlines. That choice has narrowed dramatically.
British Airways has postponed its return to Dubai until October 25, after initially expecting to restart much earlier. The airline has also offered unusually broad refund and rebooking flexibility for Middle East travel through October.
Lufthansa and SWISS currently plan to keep Dubai services suspended through September 13. Other Lufthansa Group destinations in the region—including Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Muscat, Beirut and Amman—remain suspended much longer.
Singapore Airlines presents an even clearer example of evaporating confidence. Its Singapore-Dubai service has been suspended since February 28. A planned August return was subsequently abandoned, with the cancellation extended through October 24.
Other international airlines have repeatedly postponed or adjusted their Gulf returns as security conditions changed.
The significance extends beyond the seats themselves. Every postponement is another signal reaching travel agents, corporate travel departments and ordinary families deciding where to spend their annual holiday. Dubai may technically be available. But availability is not the same thing as confidence.
There is one enormous exception: Emirates.
The Dubai airline moved aggressively to rebuild its network after the initial disruption. By early May, Emirates said 96 percent of its global network had been restored, covering 137 destinations in 72 countries, although weekly frequencies represented about 75 percent of pre-disruption capacity. Even during the disruption, it said it carried 4.7 million passengers That achievement matters enormously to Dubai.
But it also highlights an uncomfortable distinction between Dubai as an aviation hub and Dubai as a holiday destination.
Emirates can reconnect passengers between Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia through Dubai. That does not necessarily mean those passengers spend five nights in a Dubai hotel, eat in its restaurants or buy tickets for its attractions.
Indeed, Dubai International lost its position as the world’s busiest airport for international passengers in the first half of 2026, with Seoul Incheon moving ahead as travelers increasingly used routes that avoided Middle Eastern connections.
The tourism problem therefore cannot be solved simply by filling aircraft. Dubai needs people to leave the airport.
The most damaging development for Dubai may not be happening in the Gulf at all. It is happening on the beaches of Spain and in the cities, lakes and resorts of Italy.
Travelers who might once have considered a week in Dubai have an obvious alternative: stay in Europe, avoid geopolitical uncertainty and choose Spain, Italy, Greece or other Mediterranean destinations.
Spain’s airport operator Aena has explicitly acknowledged the effect. It said the Middle East crisis produced a temporary diversion of passenger traffic toward Spain, regarded by travelers as a safer destination. Spanish airports handled 156.2 million passengers during the first half of 2026, up 3.7 percent. Spain expects roughly 43 million international tourists this summer and could exceed 100 million foreign visitors for the year.
Italy is booming as well. Tourist arrivals during the first half of 2026 were reported to be 4.43 percent higher than a year earlier, with international arrivals up 6.45 percent. Official first-quarter statistics showed foreign overnight stays rising 12.3 percent. This produces a remarkable imbalance.
Europe is again struggling with the consequences of tourism saturation and overtourism, while thousands of hotel rooms in Dubai have been fighting for guests.
The tourists did not stop traveling. Many simply traveled somewhere else.
Hotel occupancy statistics sound abstract until they become payroll decisions.
Dubai’s hospitality model depends heavily on expatriate labor: receptionists, restaurant employees, housekeepers, chefs, bartenders, drivers, sales staff, tour operators and thousands of other workers whose economic lives are connected directly or indirectly to international visitors.
For many foreign workers, losing a job involves considerably more than losing a salary.
Employment and residency are closely connected in the UAE system. Government processes explicitly integrate the cancellation of work permits and residency, while the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security provides different grace periods following cancellation depending on the worker’s residence category. Some sponsored residence categories receive 60 days, skilled workers in levels one to three may receive 90 days, while other categories may have different periods.
That means prolonged weakness in hospitality can produce a particularly powerful form of insecurity. A hotel worker worried about redundancy may also worry about how long he or she can remain in the country. Dubai’s tourism downturn therefore reaches far beyond hotel owners and airline balance sheets.
And yet another Dubai continues operating almost in parallel. While the mass tourism economy struggles to regain confidence, the city’s investment proposition has proved remarkably durable.
Dubai’s property market has continued attracting international capital. AHS Properties, for example, recently bought the Shangri-La hotel on Sheikh Zayed Road for about $300 million, with its chairman describing the purchase as a long-term bet on Dubai despite the tourism downturn. Dubai real-estate transactions reached roughly $68.6 billion in the first quarter, according to figures reported by the Wall Street Journal.
Russian and CIS wealth also remains an important part of Dubai’s property story. The phenomenon predates the current war: an international investigation estimated that Russian nationals acquired approximately $6.3 billion of Dubai property following Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
Industry reporting suggests Russian and CIS buyers remain significant participants in the luxury market in 2026, although claims about a new post-war surge should be treated cautiously because comprehensive official nationality-by-nationality transaction data are limited.
That creates perhaps the strangest feature of Dubai’s present predicament. The middle-class tourist considering a €2,000 family holiday may look at the Gulf, see airline cancellations and geopolitical risk, and book Mallorca or Italy instead.
A multimillionaire considering a Dubai apartment or villa may look at precisely the same crisis and see an opportunity to buy into the city’s long-term future.
One traveler is buying a holiday. The other is buying the recovery.
Perhaps nothing illustrates the urgency more clearly than “A Dubai Invite.”
Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism launched the program in July, encouraging UAE residents and citizens to nominate friends and relatives abroad to visit.
When qualifying guests arrive, residents can receive a package of benefits worth more than AED3,000, including hotel stays, restaurants, attractions and lifestyle offers. Visitors must arrive between July 20 and October 31 under the current program.
It is an inventive piece of destination marketing. It is also an extraordinary one.
One of the world’s most successful tourism cities is effectively recruiting its own population as an international sales force.
That makes this year’s Arabian Travel Market unusually important.
ATM was originally scheduled for May. It was postponed to August following the outbreak of the war. Then it moved again. It is now scheduled for September 14–17 at Dubai World Trade Center, after organizers consulted exhibitors and international travel-industry partners.
Official messaging understandably emphasizes resilience, connectivity and future growth. But behind the exhibition stands and optimistic presentations will sit a much more fundamental question:
How quickly can Dubai restore international traveler confidence?
The answer matters because tourism is not merely another Dubai industry. It feeds aviation, hospitality, restaurants, retail, entertainment, property and employment simultaneously.
ATM 2026 will consequently be less a celebration of Middle Eastern tourism than a test of where the market actually stands.
Dubai’s difficulties do not mean every tourist abandoning the emirate is heading to Saudi Arabia. The Iran war has hurt Saudi tourism too: Saudi Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb said tourism was down roughly 5 to 6 percent during the first five months of 2026.
But strategically, Saudi Arabia may be the Gulf competitor best positioned to exploit any lasting weakening of Dubai’s dominance. The reasons are structural.
First, Saudi Arabia has enormous domestic demand. The country recorded 93.3 million domestic tourists in 2025, helping insulate its tourism economy from the complete dependence on international leisure travelers that can make other destinations vulnerable. Total overnight visitors reached 122.6 million.
Second, Saudi Arabia is building aviation capacity at extraordinary speed. Saudi airports handled 140.9 million passengers in 2025, up 9.6 percent, including approximately 76 million international passengers.
Third, Riyadh wants to become a connecting hub itself. King Salman International Airport is being developed into one of the world’s largest aviation gateways, while Riyadh Air is designed to connect the Saudi capital directly with a broad international network.
Fourth, Saudi Arabia has destinations Dubai cannot easily reproduce. AlUla offers archaeology and desert heritage; the Red Sea developments combine islands, diving and ultra-luxury resorts; Jeddah has historic urban fabric and Red Sea access; Riyadh is becoming an events and business destination; and Mecca and Medina provide a religious-tourism base of global scale.
Fifth, the investment pipeline is huge. Saudi authorities say more than $120 billion in new tourism investment has been committed, with more than 50 international hospitality brands expanding in the Kingdom. (
Sixth, Saudi Arabia has already raised its ambitions. After surpassing its original target of 100 million annual tourists ahead of schedule, the Kingdom is now targeting 150 million visitors by 2030.
Finally, a succession of global events will keep Saudi Arabia in the international spotlight: Expo 2030 Riyadh, the 2034 FIFA World Cup, the Esports World Cup and an expanding calendar of sporting and entertainment events.
Saudi Arabia is therefore no longer simply trying to participate in Gulf tourism. It is building an alternative Gulf tourism ecosystem.
Dubai has recovered from shocks before: the global financial crisis, the pandemic and repeated regional conflicts.
Its infrastructure remains formidable. Emirates remains one of the world’s most powerful international airlines. Its hotels have not disappeared. Neither have its beaches, restaurants, shopping centers, theme parks, tax advantages or reputation for service.
And recovery indicators are beginning to emerge. The danger is something subtler. Travel is habitual.
A German family that chooses Spain instead of Dubai this year may discover that it prefers Spain. A British couple that switches to Italy may return to Italy next year. A company that reroutes its Asia travel away from Dubai may decide the new arrangement works perfectly well.
- Airline capacity can be restored relatively quickly.
- Hotel rates can be discounted overnight.
- Traveler habits are harder to reverse.
That is why the current crisis matters far beyond one bad summer.
Dubai spent decades turning itself from a stopover into a destination. The Iran war has temporarily reversed that logic: Emirates can keep passengers moving through the city, investors can continue buying into its future, and wealthy residents can continue arriving, while the ordinary international holidaymaker remains hesitant.
For the moment, Dubai has money, infrastructure and ambition. What it needs again are tourists.
And as Arabian Travel Market approaches in September, beneath the promotional slogans about resilience and connectivity, the question facing the emirate is remarkably simple:
Reporting originally appeared via eTurboNews. Read the full source for additional context.