Opposition sets October 9 date for People’s Forum to guard 2027 election
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
Opposition leaders will convene a People’s Forum on Electoral Preparedness on October 9, bringing together political parties, civil society, religious organisations, professional bodies, youth groups and other stakeholders to develop mechanisms for preventing political violence ahead of the 2027 General Election.
The forum, announced during a joint briefing by the Linda Mwananchi and United Alternative Government formations, is being positioned as a citizens’ response to what opposition leaders describe as an increasingly hostile political environment marked by attacks on politicians, journalists and members of the public.
The initiative will be coordinated by former Chief Justice David Maraga, former Attorney General Justin Muturi and Linda Mwananchi spokesperson Caroli Omondi.
People’s Liberation Party leader Martha Karua, who read the statement, said the forum would mobilise “people of goodwill” to protect democratic institutions and promote a peaceful, free and credible election.
The announcement came as opposition leaders escalated criticism of the government over recent political clashes, which they said pointed to a worrying pattern ahead of the polls.
Those at the briefing included Wiper Patriotic Front leader Kalonzo Musyoka, Jubilee Deputy Party leader Fred Matiang’i, Democratic Action Party-Kenya leader Eugene Wamalwa, Linda Mwananchi leader James Orengo, United Green Movement Party leader David Maraga and Democratic Party leader Justin Muturi.
The forum is expected to provide a platform for stakeholders to discuss ways of preventing violence and intimidation during the electoral cycle. The opposition did not give details of the venue, membership or structure but presented it as a broad-based citizens’ initiative rather than a conventional political meeting.
“This is a call to action on electoral violence in Kenya,” Ms Karua said, arguing that recent incidents could no longer be dismissed as isolated confrontations between rival political supporters.
The opposition cited an alleged attack involving former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua in Rongai, Nakuru County, an incident involving Dr Matiang’i at Mulot in Bomet County and violence surrounding a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay. They also cited an earlier incident in Keumbu, Kisii County.
The leaders called for independent investigations, particularly over allegations that some attacks occurred in the presence or operational reach of police officers. They also questioned how armed groups could allegedly mobilise and attack political leaders, journalists, civilians and police officers.
The government has previously rejected allegations that security agencies are being used to suppress political opponents.
The opposition said the forum would also push institutions such as the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission to demonstrate their readiness to conduct a peaceful election.
Kenya’s history of post-election violence provides the backdrop to the initiative. More than 1,000 people were killed and hundreds of thousands displaced following the disputed 2007 presidential election.
The opposition also called on the International Criminal Court prosecutor to monitor developments and consider whether evidence could warrant examination under the Rome Statute.
The leaders urged religious organisations, civil society, lawyers, professional bodies, the media, youth groups and the diplomatic community to resist intimidation and politically-sponsored violence.
“The 2027 general election must be a contest of ideas, not intimidation, a contest of ballots, not bullets, a contest of democracy, not violence,” the leaders said.
Ms Karua said Kenya’s future should be determined by the sovereign will of its people, rather than fear or violence.
“The future of Kenya will not be determined by militias or fear,” she said.
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.