Nandi: Women stage 5km march after 67-year-old granny is raped and killed
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
Nandi: Women stage 5km march after 67-year-old granny is raped and killed
Women in Nandi County staged a five-kilometre march to Chepterit Police Station demanding justice after a 67-year-old woman was raped and killed by unknown assailants.
The women, accompanied by residents, on Thursday, August 20, 2026, walked to the police station carrying tree branches and chanting songs as they called for investigations into the killing.
The deceased, who worked as a tea picker, was raped before she was killed.
Her body was discovered last week in a bush in Kabunyeria village, Chebarbar area.
Speaking during the protest, Denise Koech, a nephew of the deceased, called for investigations to establish what happened to his aunt and ensure those responsible are brought to justice.
“Ningewomba haki itendeke na tufuate ukweli. Watu watambulike na sheria iweze kutusaidia ili tuweze kupata hawa watu ambao walifanya hii maneno na tujue na tuambiwe haki. Naomba serikali saidie,” Koech said.
Koech also appealed to the government to assist the family with funeral expenses and other basic needs.
Daughter seeks support
Selivia Chepkoech, the deceased’s daughter, broke down as she appealed to the government for assistance.
Chepkoech said her mother had been her main source of support and helped care for her two young children while she worked casual jobs.
“Mama yangu ndiye alikuwa tegemeo kwangu. Niko na watoto wawili wadogo. Mama yangu ndiye alikuwa ananichungia. Mimi nilikuwa nafanya kibarua, sikuwa nyumbani. Nikapigiwa simu asubuhi nikaambiwa mama hakufika nyumbani,” Chepkoech said.
She said her mother’s death had left the family struggling and appealed to the government and Nandi leaders to help meet the cost of the burial.
Residents demand security
Veronica Chelagat, a resident, said the 67-year-old was not the first person to suffer violence in the area, calling for stronger security.
“Gogo si mtu wa kwanza kufanyiwa hivi katika eneo hili na ni sisi sasa tumeanza kusema, ‘enough is enough’. I think Gogo awe wa mwisho,” Chelagat said.
Chelagat urged residents to report suspicious individuals to authorities and called for increased security in the area.
Mwalimu Biwott, another resident, called on the county government to review licences issued to bars and other entertainment establishments operating in Cheptarit and Chebarbar.
“We want to ask the county government kama kuna uwezo, they revoke all the licences ya mabaa na kila kitu inafanyika kwa hizi centres zetu za Cheptarit na Chebarbar. Kwanza zisuspended mpaka investigations ya kutosha ifanyiwe,” Biwott said.
The protesters want police to intensify investigations into the woman’s death and ensure those responsible are arrested and prosecuted.
Author
William Muthama
William Muthama is a digital journalist with a focus on entertainment, human interest, and current affairs. Share stories: [email protected]/ [email protected]
View all posts by William Muthama
Reporting originally appeared via K24 Digital. Read the full source for additional context.