"Moto mkubwa": Tour operator recalls disturbing scene after tragic Samburu crash
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- A chartered helicopter carrying tourists crashed and caught fire on Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County, killing all seven people on board
- Local tour operator Diba Ngera was among the first responders and described aircraft parts strewn across a wide area around the crash site
- Recovery teams suspended the operation to retrieve three remaining bodies until Thursday due to fierce fire and inaccessible terrain
A chartered helicopter ferrying tourists crashed and burst into flames on Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County, Kenya, killing all seven people on board, including the pilot, in a tragedy that has left rescue workers and first responders shaken.
The aircraft, belonging to Lady Lori, a chartered helicopter operator, went down while attempting to land on the mountain, a popular destination among tourists drawn to its dramatic scenery and sunset views.
KCAA issues update after Samburu chopper crash
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) identified the ill-fated aircraft as a Eurocopter EC130B4 registered 5Y-G.
It had been transporting six passengers and a pilot from Soyan in Laikipia heading to Mount Ololokwe when the crash occurred.
Diba Ngera, a local tour operator and one of the first people to reach the site, described a scene of widespread wreckage.
Four bodies retrieved from Samburu chopper crash
Aircraft parts had been scattered across a broad area around the point of impact, making initial assessment difficult in the already rugged and steep terrain.
Two helicopters were deployed over a period of six gruelling hours to airlift recovery teams and equipment to the crash site, but the combination of harsh topography and an intense, persistent fire severely hampered progress.
By evening, authorities had successfully retrieved four of the seven bodies.
Police commander David Nkoroi shares updates after Samburu crash
Police commander David Nkoroi at the scene confirmed that all six passengers and the pilot had perished after the helicopter crashed and caught fire on impact.
He was, however, unable to disclose the nationalities of the deceased at that stage.
The effort to bring out the remaining three bodies was suspended before the end of the day and was not expected to resume until Thursday morning.
Samburu chopper crash body retrieval to resume
Officials cited the ferocity of the ongoing fire and the near-impossible conditions on the ground as the primary reasons for the pause.
"The fire and the way the bodies have been burned has hindered us from retrieving them for today," a senior officer said.
"So we are going to start the exercise very early in the morning tomorrow because already the bodies are burned beyond recognition and the fire is very fierce."
Police recover personal items of Samburu crash victims
Alongside the remains, recovery teams also managed to collect personal items, including mobile phones and cameras, which authorities said would be handed over to next of kin once the victims had been identified.
Mount Ololokwe, situated in Samburu County in northern Kenya, is widely regarded as one of the most scenic landmarks in the region and draws visitors seeking its panoramic vistas.
The crash site's location on the mountain's uneven, rocky slopes added a further layer of difficulty to what was already an emotionally and physically demanding operation.
Newlywe due as honeymoon helicopter crashes
In another story, TUKO.co.ke highlighted a story about the tragic helicopter crash that claimed the lives of newlyweds Alexander Cromie and Marie Ebert on the Greek island of Sifnos.
Their honeymoon took a devastating turn when the aircraft, piloted by a retired Greek Air Force officer, crashed just moments before landing, leaving families and friends in mourning.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.